Sunday 8 August 2010

And so it has begun

Dr Jr has started his job as Foundation Year 1 doctor.

After a weeks worth of induction (being told how to lift things and escape burning buildings), we were unceremoniously dumped on the wards, expected to know how to do everything.

So, other than forgetting to order bloods for most of the patients on my ward on the first day, it went quite well! I may have worked an extra hour... or two... every day, but I'm enjoying what I'm doing in any case. Luckily, the nursing staff and senior doctors are pretty darn amazing. Happy, easy to talk to and work with and helpful in my early days where I know nothing, I don't think I could have wished for a better group of people to work with.

Admin is already proving hassle-some - however maybe I'm just thinking this because everything has been so hectic that I've not had time to fill in all these forms. Seriously, how many forests were felled to provide me with all these documents to sign? I don't even know what I'm signing half the time!

But all in all, it's been a good, yet hard, first week. I'm not having to do any on-calls or weekends for a few weeks yet, so hopefully I'll be able to settle in and bed down before the fun really begins. Another plus, none of my patients died! Sadly, it seems like an inevitability that some will, considering the specialty I find myself in, but for now, they remain ticking. Hopefully that won't have changed over the weekend.

Now, I think I must go to bed, my sleeping patters are still skewy since my student days!

No comments: